NATURAL DIY TREATMENT TO FADE STRETCH MARK SCARS
Based on a study by American Academy of dermatology, it is estimated that 90% of women who are or have been pregnant, 70% of adolescent females and 40% of adolescent males have stretch marks. Having a mother who had stretch mark means that you are also likely to get it. It is not gender specific neither is it race specific. Apart from acne/pimples, stretch mark is a common skincare concern that most people have.
How is stretch mark formed?
Stretch marks are scars formed as a result of the abnormal stretching or expansion of the skin over an extended period of time. The abnormal stretching causes the skin’s support structure which is elastin (think of an elastic rubber band) to breakdown or rupture. Stretch marks typically occur during pregnancy, weight gain, weight loss or during periods of rapid growth like puberty. The scar is deep inside the skin i.e. the dermis layer of the skin. And those fine lines are broken elastin.
Stretch mark treatment anyone?
There are so many creams, oil and lotions that claim to get rid of stretch mark. I have bad news and good news. The bad news is that “Nothing can cure stretch mark”. Nothing topically applied can help attach the broken elastin together (can you return a broken rubber band back to its original state?). The good news is that “stretch marks fade overtime and becomes less noticeable.” Keep all your money sweetheart and because I am your bestest friend in the world I will tell you this, the only thing we can hope for with stretch mark treatment is to reduce the scars but nothing will make the scars disappear.
Natural treatments for stretch mark
According to Dr Mercola’s website, here are some natural treatments that work based on research
- Using essential oils like lavender, sandalwood, frankincense and tangerine oils. All essential oils have to be diluted in carrier/vegetable oil. Frankincense oil should not be used by pregnant women and when nursing.
- Rub Aloe Vera on the areas that are susceptible to stretch marks
- Squeeze a large lemon and apply the juice to your stretch marks. Leave it on for about 15 to 20 minutes and then wash off with cold water.
- Whip two egg whites to a paste-like consistency. Apply this paste to your stretch marks and let it dry. Wash it off with lukewarm water. Repeat once a week.
- I will recommend applying Shea butter or coconut oil on the scar till it fades.
Keep your expectations realistic. Don’t expect a miracle but hope for it. Once you decide to use any of the natural treatments mentioned above, use it for up to 12 weeks at least before you conclude that it doesn’t work.
What cream or product have you used that made your stretch mark disappear? Don’t agree with me? Let me know why in the comments.
Fadilah Bakre is a botanist, natural skincare formulator and a nutrition enthusiast. She lives,breathes healthy skin, helps women get rid of their skincare concerns so that they can live life energetically with sass and confidence. She writes about all things skincare on her website and you can enroll for the free min-course “GET RID OF ACNE”.
Follow her on Instagram @fabnatural
Like her page on Facebook @Fabnatural
Send an email to email@example.com for private consultations.